Education

O’Brien Waste Recycling Solutions provide services for a number of the North East universities, including Northumbria, Newcastle & Teesside as well NorthEast Colleges and schools. Our close working partnership extends to the provision of workshops for staff and students to help increase recycling figures.


Education
“Beforehand Sunderland College recycled 10% of generated waste, within a year of working with O'Brien we are recycling 95% of generated waste”-Karen Wade, Director of Facilities Management, Sunderland College

We find that we win business in the education sector due to our responsiveness. We have a number of recycling centres in the North East and can offer a same day service. Due to our flexible approach we are able to service at times which suit, as well as manage peak and off peak times. For example, O’Brien can provide twice daily collections in the summer when students are leaving their halls of residence. Universities find their waste levels tend to increase at this time and it is important for all sites to be left in a safe and tidy manner.

Each contract is approached in a unique fashion but all institutions benefit from our experience working in this sector. O’Brien we support universities and colleges by attending events such as fresher fairs to further promote on-site recycling.

We also offer guided tours around our regional recycling facilities for students to assist with educational and research projects. Students and teachers are able to witness the whole recycling journey, from delivery of waste to the facility, to sorting and separated waste leaving the site in containers.

Students from the local universities also work closely with the O’Brien Compliance Team. For example as part of a Masters degree a Newcastle University student, who was working at O’Brien on placement, recently calculated the O’Brien Carbon Footprint which will be used as part of the EMS strategy.

Our flexibility is valued by our education partners and is coupled with our enviable reputation for reliability. We take pride in our collections being prompt, our staff professional and vehicles and waste containers well presented.

When your waste is collected by O’Brien, you can be assured that it is dealt with responsibly and with due care to the environment. All the waste streams we collect are separated at one of our regional MRFs (material recycling facilities – link) with 98% of it being recovered for recycling and the remaining 2% being burned for energy.

To arrange a consultation to discuss your Educational institution’s waste management and recycling requirements, please call 0800 169 1243

O'Brien Waste Recycling Solutions
Contact us now