O’Brien Waste Recycling Solutions was formed 10 years ago as a part of the G O’Brien & Sons Group. Although the waste division was separated into its own entity in 2015 we retain the heritage that comes with a business with its roots firmly planted in the region for the past 35 years.

We are proud of these roots here in the North East and, as such, are active in the local community with a number of education, partnership and sponsorship initiatives. Working in the waste industry we firmly believe in transparency and responsibility. We deal with the waste we collect responsibly and with respect for the environment. All the waste streams collected are separated at one of our regional recycling centres with 98% of it being recovered for recycling into new products and the remaining 2% being recovered for energy.

Education

communityCentral to our education programmes, is a viewing gallery at the company’s head office in Newcastle. This is an enclosed, elevated walkway around the material recycling facility where every aspect of the process can be seen from the initial delivery of waste to segregation via a combination of manual picking, magnets, eddy currents and size-sorting equipment and, finally, to the creation of bales ready for supply to reprocessing plants across the world.

The gallery is accessed through a ‘green’ walkway featuring educational points, all of which feature materials recycled by O’Brien Waste Recycling Solutions. This facility has proved very popular and is used by local schools, residents and businesses.

We also work with a number of local authorities and councils on education programmes for residents to improve recycling rates and reduce contamination of the waste we collect. This ranges from competitions to site visits and social media engagement.

Partnership

Our partnership approach is key to our success and long standing customer relationships. We work closely with a number of high profile North East organisations such as The Sage Gateshead, Sunderland Football Club, Newcastle United Football Club, Newcastle Racecourse, Newcastle Airport, Close House Golf Club and the Metro Radio Arena. We support these organisations by providing workshops and employee engagement sessions to raise awareness on the importance of correct waste management and recycling.

Sponsorship

team-obrienBeing in the North East we are, of course, football mad. As such we sponsor a number of local junior and adult football teams. From O’Brien Waste Recycling Solutions FC (Juniors), Pool Youth U10 Girls, Montagu Blues U13s to South Shields FC and Bishop Auckland FC.

We also have a senior team in our own name O’Brien Waste Recycling Solutions FC. Formerly ‘Hylton Road FC’, the club had been struggling financially, which lead to the potential of the club folding. O’Brien Waste Recycling Solutions saw a great opportunity and injected a new lease of life into the club managed by former SAFC player Steven Smith.

For more information on our community relations please complete our enquiry form by clicking here or call 0191 262 2453
O'Brien Waste Recycling Solutions
Contact us now